Class/mechanism: Recombinant human IgG1 monoclonal antibody, VEGFR2 (vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2) antagonist. Ramucirumab binds VEGFR2 and blocks VEGFR ligands, VEGF-A, VEGF-C, and VEGF-D, which inhibits angiogenesis.
Extravasation: no information
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Diseases for which it is used
Patient drug information
- Ramucirumab (Cyramza) patient drug information (Chemocare)
- Ramucirumab (Cyramza) package insert
- Ramucirumab (Cyramza) patient drug information (UpToDate)
History of changes in FDA indication
- 4/24/2015: Approved in combination with FOLFIRI, for the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer with disease progression on or after prior therapy with bevacizumab, oxaliplatin, and a fluoropyrimidine. (New disease approval)
- 4/21/2014: Initial approval for the treatment of patients with advanced or metastatic, gastric or gastroesophageal junction (GEJ) adenocarcinoma with disease progression on or after prior treatment with fluoropyrimidine- or platinum- containing chemotherapy.
- 11/5/2014: Approval and indication expanded for use in combination with paclitaxel for the treatment of patients with advanced gastric or gastroesophageal junction (GEJ) adenocarcinoma. (Requirement for prior lines of treatment removed)
- 5/10/2019: Approved as a single agent for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in patients who have an alpha fetoprotein (AFP) of at least 400 ng/mL and have been previously treated with sorafenib. (New disease approval)
- 12/12/2014: Approved for use in combination with docetaxel for the treatment of patients with metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with disease progression on or after platinum-based chemotherapy. (New disease approval)
- 5/29/2020: Approved in combination with erlotinib for first-line treatment of metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) exon 19 deletions or exon 21 (L858R) mutations. (Approval expanded to first-line setting in EGFR+ NSCLC)
Also known as
- Code names: IMC-1121B, LY3009806
- Brand name: Cyramza