Class/mechanism: Platinum analog, alkylating-like, which produces interstrand and intrastrand DNA crosslinks that inhibit DNA replication and transcription, causing non-cell cycle specific cytotoxicity and death.
Extravasation: irritant (usually), vesicant (rare)
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Diseases for which it is used
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL/SLL)
- Colon cancer
- Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma
- Esophageal cancer
- Extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Mantle cell lymphoma
- Marginal zone lymphoma
- Nasopharyngeal carcinoma
- Pancreatic cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Transformed lymphoma
Patient drug information
- Oxaliplatin (Eloxatin) package insert PDF pages 15-16
- Oxaliplatin (Eloxatin) patient drug information (Chemocare)
- Oxaliplatin (Eloxatin) patient drug information (UpToDate)
History of changes in FDA indication
- 8/9/2002: Initial FDA approval: "used in combination with infusional 5-FU/ LV, is indicated for the treatment of patients with metastatic carcinoma of the colon or rectum whose disease has recurred or progressed during or within 6 months of completion of first line therapy with the combination of bolus 5-FU/ LV and irinotecan."
- 1/9/2004: Indication revised: "used in combination with infusional 5-FU/ LV, is indicated for the treatment of advanced carcinoma of the colon or rectum.
- 11/4/2004: New indication: "used in combination with infusional 5-FU/ LV, is indicated for adjuvant treatment of stage III colon cancer patients who have undergone complete resection of the primary tumor.
Also known as
- Code names: JM-83, RP-54780, SR-96669
- Brand names: Coxatin, Curaplat, Cure-X, Dacotin, Dacplat, Eloplat, Eloxatin, Eloxatine, Oplatin, OxaLitin, Oxiplat, Oxitan, Oxzucia, Sibatin, Xaloplat, Xylotin, X-Plat, Zildox