Class/mechanism: PD-L1 blocking antibody. PD-L1 (programmed death-1 ligand 1) expressed on tumor cells and tumor-infiltrating immune cells can result in inhibition of anti-tumor immune responses. Avelumab binds to PD-1 and B7.1 receptors on T-cells and antigen presenting cells and prevents PD-L1's inhibitory effects on the immune system. As a result, avelumab stimulates immune responses, including anti-tumor immune effects.
Extravasation: no information
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Diseases for which it is established (work in progress)
Patient drug information
- Avelumab (Bavencio) package insert
- Avelumab (Bavencio) patient drug information (Chemocare)
- Avelumab (Bavencio) patient drug information (UpToDate)
History of changes in FDA indication
- 5/9/2017: Granted accelerated approval for patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma whose disease progressed during or following platinum-containing chemotherapy or within 12 months of neoadjuvant or adjuvant platinum-containing chemotherapy. (Based on JAVELIN Solid Tumor)
- 6/30/2020: Approved for maintenance treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma (UC) that has not progressed with first-line platinum-containing chemotherapy. (Converted to regular approval; expanded to maintenance setting; based on JAVELIN Bladder 100)
- 3/23/2017: Initial accelerated approval for the treatment of patients 12 years and older with metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC). (Based on JAVELIN Merkel 200)
- 5/14/2019: Approved in combination with axitinib for first-line treatment of patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC). (Based on JAVELIN Renal 101)
Also known as
- Code name: MSB0010718C
- Brand name: Bavencio