Fosaprepitant (Emend for Injection)
Class/mechanism: Substance P/neurokinin 1 (NK1) receptor antagonist. Fosaprepitant is a prodrug of Aprepitant (Emend). Aprepitant is able to cross the blood-brain barrier and blocks substance P activation of tachykinin family neurokinin 1 (NK1) receptors, which reduces the incidence of acute and delayed emesis.
Extravasation: no information available
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Patient drug information
- Brief patient counseling information can be found in the Fosaprepitant (Emend) package insert
- Fosaprepitant (Emend) package insert (1/25/2008 version), has more extensive patient information.
- Fosaprepitant (Emend) patient drug information (UpToDate)
History of changes in FDA indication
- 1/25/2008: FDA approved for "prevention of acute and delayed nausea and vomiting associated with initial and repeat courses of highly emetogenic cancer chemotherapy including high-dose cisplatin" and "prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with initial and repeat courses of moderately emetogenic cancer chemotherapy."
Also known as
- Generic name: fosaprepitant dimeglumine
- Brand name: Emend for Injection