Class/mechanism: Steroidal aromatase inhibitor; irreversibly binds and inactivates the aromatase enzyme that converts adrenal and ovarian androgens (androstenedione and testosterone) to estrogens (estrone and estradiol) in peripheral tissues.
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Diseases for which it is used
Patient drug information
- Exemestane (Aromasin) package insert pages 16-17
- Brief patient counseling information can be found on page 15 of the Exemestane (Aromasin) package insert
- Exemestane (Aromasin) patient drug information (Chemocare)
- Exemestane (Aromasin) patient drug information (UpToDate)
History of changes in FDA indication
- 10/21/1999: Initial FDA approval "for the treatment of advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women whose disease has progressed following tamoxifen therapy."