Class/mechanism: Non-taxane microtubule dynamics inhibitor. Inhibits the growth phase of microtubules and aggregates tubulin into inactive aggregates. Does not affect the shortening phase. Disruption of mitotic spindles interferes with mitosis, leads to G2/M cell-cycle block, and apoptotic cell death.
Extravasation: no information
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Diseases for which it is used
Patient drug information
- Eribulin (Halaven) package insert pages 14-16
- Eribulin (Halaven) patient drug information (Chemocare)
- Eribulin (Halaven) patient drug information (UpToDate)
History of changes in FDA indication
- 11/15/2010: Initial FDA approval for the treatment of patients with metastatic breast cancer who have previously received at least two chemotherapeutic regimens for the treatment of metastatic disease. Prior therapy should have included an anthracycline and a taxane in either the adjuvant or metastatic setting.
- 1/28/2016: FDA approved for the treatment of patients with unresectable or metastatic liposarcoma who have received a prior anthracycline-containing regimen.
Also known as
- Code names: E7389, ER-086526, NSC-707389
- Brand name: Halaven