Class/mechanism: Tyrosine kinase inhibitor; inhibits anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK), c-MET and subsequent expression of Hepatocyte Growth Factor Receptor (HGFR), and Recepteur d’Origine Nantais (RON). Inhibits activity of fusion proteins involving ALK, such as EML4-ALK and NPM-ALK.
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Diseases for which it is used
- Anaplastic large cell lymphoma, pediatric
- ALK+ non-small cell lung cancer
- ROS1+ non-small cell lung cancer
Patient drug information
- Crizotinib (Xalkori) package insert pages 15-18
- Crizotinib (Xalkori) patient drug information (Chemocare)
- Crizotinib (Xalkori) patient drug information (UpToDate)
History of changes in FDA indication
- 1/14/2021: Approved for pediatric patients 1 year of age and older and young adults with relapsed or refractory, systemic anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) that is ALK-positive. (New disease entity; based on COG ADVL0912)
- 7/14/2022: Approved for adult and pediatric patients 1 year of age and older with unresectable, recurrent, or refractory inflammatory anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK)-positive myofibroblastic tumors (IMT). (New disease entity; based on COG ADVL0912 & PROFILE 1013)
- 8/26/2011: Initial accelerated approval for the treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that is anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK)-positive. (Based on PROFILE 1001 ALK)
- 11/20/2013: Approved for the treatment of patients with metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) whose tumors are anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK)-positive. (Indication removed from locally advanced setting; based on PROFILE 1005, PROFILE 1007, PROFILE 1014)
- 3/11/2016: Approved for the treatment of patients with metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) whose tumors are ROS1-positive. (New mutation-specific indication; based on PROFILE 1001 ROS1)
History of changes in EMA indication
- 10/23/2012: Initial marketing authorization as Xalkori.
Also known as
- Code names: PF02341066, PF-02341066
- Brand name: Crizalk, Crizocap, Crizonix, Xalkori