Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG)
Class/mechanism: Live mycobacteria which promote a local acute inflammatory and sub-acute granulomatous reaction with macrophage and leukocyte infiltration in the urothelium and lamina propria of the urinary bladder. This results in a likely T-lymphocyte dependent anti-tumor effect.
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, Medscape, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Diseases for which it is used
- Bladder cancer (intravesicular use)
Patient drug information
- Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) package insert PDF pages 22-24
- Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) patient drug information (Chemocare)
- Patient information about bladder cancer treatment, including BCG (UpToDate)
Also known as
- Generic name: Bacille Calmette–Guérin
- Brand names: TheraCys, TICE BCG