Anaplastic glioma - null regimens
The purpose of this page is to provide references to "null therapy" such as placebo and observation. While not clinically relevant, these references provide further insight into the historical development of the treatment landscape. See the main anaplastic glioma page for current regimens.
|back to top|
|Study||Years of enrollment||Evidence||Comparator||Comparative Efficacy|
|Thomas et al. 2001 (MRC BR05)||1988-1997||Phase III (C)||PCV||Did not meet primary endpoint of OS24|
|Cairncross et al. 2006 (RTOG 9402)||1994-2002||Phase III (C)||PCV||Might have inferior OS1|
|van den Bent et al. 2006 (EORTC 26951)||1996-2002||Phase III (C)||PCV||Inferior PFS|
1Reported efficacy for RTOG 9402 is based on the 2012 update.
No further treatment.
Biomarker eligibility criteria
- RTOG 9402: a survival benefit was noted in the population with 1p/19q co-deleted tumors
- EORTC 26951: van den Bent et al. 2013 noted that 1p/19q co-deleted tumors received the more benefit from adjuvant PCV as compared to tumors without 1p/19q co-deletion.
- MRC BR05: Surgery, then RT x 45 Gy or RT x 60 Gy
- RTOG 9402: Surgery
- EORTC 26951: Surgery, then RT x 45 Gy with 14.4 Gy boost
- MRC BR05: Thomas D, Brada M, Stenning S; Medical Research Council Brain Tumor Working Party. Randomized trial of procarbazine, lomustine, and vincristine in the adjuvant treatment of high-grade astrocytoma: a Medical Research Council trial. J Clin Oncol. 2001 Jan 15;19(2):509-18. link to original article contains verified protocol PubMed
- RTOG 9402: Cairncross G, Berkey B, Shaw E, Jenkins R, Scheithauer B, Brachman D, Buckner J, Fink K, Souhami L, Laperierre N, Mehta M, Curran W. Phase III trial of chemotherapy plus radiotherapy compared with radiotherapy alone for pure and mixed anaplastic oligodendroglioma: Intergroup Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Trial 9402. J Clin Oncol. 2006 Jun 20;24(18):2707-14. link to original article contains verified protocol PubMed
- Update: Cairncross G, Wang M, Shaw E, Jenkins R, Brachman D, Buckner J, Fink K, Souhami L, Laperriere N, Curran W, Mehta M. Phase III trial of chemoradiotherapy for anaplastic oligodendroglioma: long-term results of RTOG 9402. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Jan 20;31(3):337-43. Epub 2012 Oct 15. link to original article link to PMC article PubMed
- EORTC 26951: van den Bent MJ, Carpentier AF, Brandes AA, Sanson M, Taphoorn MJ, Bernsen HJ, Frenay M, Tijssen CC, Grisold W, Sipos L, Haaxma-Reiche H, Kros JM, van Kouwenhoven MC, Vecht CJ, Allgeier A, Lacombe D, Gorlia T. Adjuvant procarbazine, lomustine, and vincristine improves progression-free survival but not overall survival in newly diagnosed anaplastic oligodendrogliomas and oligoastrocytomas: a randomized European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer phase III trial. J Clin Oncol. 2006 Jun 20;24(18):2715-22. link to original article contains verified protocol PubMed
- Update: van den Bent MJ, Brandes AA, Taphoorn MJ, Kros JM, Kouwenhoven MC, Delattre JY, Bernsen HJ, Frenay M, Tijssen CC, Grisold W, Sipos L, Enting RH, French PJ, Dinjens WN, Vecht CJ, Allgeier A, Lacombe D, Gorlia T, Hoang-Xuan K. Adjuvant procarbazine, lomustine, and vincristine chemotherapy in newly diagnosed anaplastic oligodendroglioma: long-term follow-up of EORTC brain tumor group study 26951. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Jan 20;31(3):344-50. Epub 2012 Oct 15. link to original article PubMed