Irinotecan liposome (Onivyde)
Class/mechanism: Topoisomerase I inhibitor with irinotecan contained within a liposomal sphere. Irinotecan interferes with topoisomerase I's normal action of relieving torsional strain in DNA by creating reversible single-strand breaks. Irinotecan and its active metabolite SN-38 bind to the topoisomerase I & DNA complex and interfere with ligation of these single-strand breaks. Failure to repair these breaks eventually leads to double-strand DNA damage, which disrupts cell proliferation and leads to cell death. In mouse models, 5 times lower doses of liposomal irinotecan were able to achieve similar intratumoral exposure levels of SN-38 as compared to irinotecan HCl.
Extravasation: no information available
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Diseases for which it is used
Patient drug information
History of changes in FDA indication
- 10/22/2015: FDA approved "in combination with fluorouracil (5FU) and leucovorin (LV), for the treatment of patients with metastatic adenocarcinoma of the pancreas whose disease has progressed following gemcitabine-based therapy."
Also known as
- Code names: MM-398, MM398, PEP-02, PEP02
- Brand name: Onivyde
- Irinotecan liposome (Onivyde) package insert
- Irinotecan liposome (Onivyde) package insert (locally hosted backup)
- Onivyde manufacturer's website
- Roy AC, Park SR, Cunningham D, Kang YK, Chao Y, Chen LT, Rees C, Lim HY, Tabernero J, Ramos FJ, Kujundzic M, Cardic MB, Yeh CG, de Gramont A. A randomized phase II study of PEP02 (MM-398), irinotecan or docetaxel as a second-line therapy in patients with locally advanced or metastatic gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinoma. Ann Oncol. 2013 Jun;24(6):1567-73. link to original article contains protocol PubMed
- Ko AH, Tempero MA, Shan YS, Su WC, Lin YL, Dito E, Ong A, Wang YW, Yeh CG, Chen LT. A multinational phase 2 study of nanoliposomal irinotecan sucrosofate (PEP02, MM-398) for patients with gemcitabine-refractory metastatic pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer. 2013 Aug 20;109(4):920-5. link to original article contains protocol PubMed
- Merrimack Pharmaceuticals's MM-398 website