Interferon alfa-2b (Intron-A)
Class/mechanism: Immune system activator; binds to cell surface receptors that modulate many downstream intracellular signal transduction pathways. Mechanism not fully understood.
Route: SC, IM, IV, intralesional
Extravasation: no information
For conciseness and simplicity, HemOnc.org currently will focus on treatment regimens and not list information such as: renal/hepatic dose adjustments, metabolism (including CYP450), excretion, monitoring parameters (although this will be considered for checklists), or manufacturer. Instead, for the most current information, please refer to your preferred pharmacopeias such as Micromedex, Lexicomp, UpToDate (courtesy of Lexicomp), or the prescribing information.
Diseases for which it is used
- Adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia
- Hairy cell leukemia
- Kaposi sarcoma
- Multiple myeloma
- Neuroendocrine tumor
- Pancreatic NET
- Renal cell carcinoma
- Systemic mastocytosis
Diseases for which it was used
Patient drug information
- Interferon alfa-2b (Intron-A) package insert
- Interferon alfa-2b (Intron-A) patient drug information (Chemocare)
- Interferon alfa-2b (Intron-A) patient drug information (UpToDate)
History of changes in FDA indication
- 6/4/1986: Initial FDA approval for treatment of patients 18 years of age or older with hairy cell leukemia
- Indicated for the treatment of patients 18 years of age or older with hairy cell leukemia.
- Indicated as adjuvant to surgical treatment in patients 18 years of age or older with malignant melanoma who are free of disease but at high risk for systemic recurrence, within 56 days of surgery.
- Indicated for the initial treatment of clinically aggressive follicular Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in conjunction with anthracycline-containing combination chemotherapy in patients 18 years of age or older. Efficacy of INTRON A therapy in patients with low-grade, low tumor burden follicular Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma has not been demonstrated.
- Indicated for the treatment of selected patients 18 years of age or older with AIDS-Related Kaposi's Sarcoma.
Also known as
Caution, may also contain names for interferon beta, interferon gamma, or interferon alfa-2a.
- Brand names:
|Frone||Finnferon-Alpha||Heberon Alfa R||Humoferon||IFN Alpha||Imufor||Imukin||INF|
|Inferax||Infergen||Inmutag||Interfero||Interferon Alfanative||Interferon Human||Interferon Leucocyticum||Interferon Lymphoblastoid|