Example orders for 5-FU & low-dose Leucovorin (Mayo Clinic regimen - LDLV) in colon cancer
Remember that example order sets that may contain additional information about supportive medications, suggestions for monitoring, hydration, and pre-treatment screening information for chemotherapy regimens are purely anecdotal, provided only as examples of what some other providers may be using, and are typically not based on references in the primary literature.
5-FU & low-dose Leucovorin (Mayo Clinic regimen/LDLV)
Original references may be found at 5-FU & low-dose Leucovorin (Mayo Clinic regimen/LDLV) (adjuvant) & 5-FU & low-dose Leucovorin (Mayo Clinic regimen/LDLV) (metastatic)
Example regimen #1
- Folinic acid (Leucovorin) 20 mg/m2 IV over 15 to 30 minutes on days 1 to 5, given first before 5-FU
- Fluorouracil (5-FU) 425 mg/m2 IV push on days 1 to 5, given after leucovorin
28-day cycles x 6 cycles for adjuvant therapy; in metastatic settings, given until progression of disease or unacceptable toxicity
- Prochlorperazine (Compazine) 10 mg PO once; 30 minutes prior to chemotherapy
- 500 ml NS at KVO rate as running IV for chemotherapy infusion. Give up to 500 ml NS.
- Hold if ANC <1000 and platelets <100 and notify physician.